Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers' Day

Happy Mothers' Day! In Hutchinson, Kansas, it's a rather overcast, dreary day. I think our temperature is about 56 degrees...not cold, not warm...just dreary. Good sleeping weather (I know!!).

Last evening I decided to get my pond underway. I didn't do a very good job of it. It's crooked. Now I'm thinking I'll let a good downpour of a rain come and settle the dirt I put in around it, then reseat it and level it out. No? Well, then maybe it'll just be unlevel. The plastic covered planter has elephant ear bulbs planted in it. Someone asked me recently if I was cooking them. No...I uncover them if/when the sun comes out...but elephant ears seem to take such a long time to come up that I thought that maybe if I created a greenhouse for them, they'd sprout sooner.

The three little clumps of greenery are zebra grass...I really like it! It'll be about 3 feet tall and waving in the breeze before long. Horizontal stripes...neat! I also planted some marigold seeds (because I had them) around the edges. I think I need creeping phlox or a vining ivy to cover the crummy fit of the landscape timbers however.

In other parts of my yard I now have 32 cannas "up"...the tallest may be about 4"...others just little points peaking through the dirt. I planted 71...so I'm expecting more to arrive.

My Roma tomato plants look pretty good. They even have several blooms on them. And I have two hills of cucumber plants...I'm going to try to convince them to climb a trellis up the side of the shed.

I've also planted zinnias and have tons of day lilies and iris up (and blooming). My black-eyed Susans are looking great..coming back from last summer.

The pool gets opened in 12 days...seems late when I think May 22, but seems too early when I check the temperature outside. I'm anxious for warmer temperatures and to get past this "storm season" weather.

My son called this a.m. and wished me a Happy Mothers' Day...hope you've wished your mother a good day too!!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And Happy Mother's Day to you. Congratulations on your pond! What energy you have.....mln