Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer's Here!!!

Doesn't take long with 100 degree temperatures to recognize that summer must actually be here! It's WARM!!! Pool temperature is up to 86 degrees...almost needs to be cooled down a little...almost!

I have lots of day lilies blooming...all those orange "things" at the end of the pool.

Wanted to show you the cannas...they have continued to come up in abundance. I had killed out the grass around them, put down plastic and mulch and landscape timbers. Now every few days I'll see a big lump of mulch...and sure enough, there'll be a 6" tall canna stem and leaf under the plastic. So I tear a hole in the plastic and let it come through!






And...here's what happens when you don't heed the advice of others. My neighbor told me two or three years ago NOT to put my solar blanket on my grass or it would kill the grass. Well, at that time I had an old solar blanket and some bermuda that I wanted dead...so I covered it...nothing much happened. So I figured he must not know what he was talking about.

Last Sunday it was really warm and I mentioned that I was ready to take the solar blanket off "for good" (for the rest of the season)...so my son helped me and we laid it over on the grass to dry...for MAYBE 30 minutes..no longer! Monday this is how my grass looked! Oops! Well, honestly, if I was going to kill grass, that was the first I would have wanted to go. It's not very good grass..mostly weeds I think...not much of a loss and I think it'll probably come back.


And then...here's my tomatoes. The two Roma tomato plants aren't very tall at all, but about two weeks ago I counted 24 tomatoes. So far I've picked two and another one is almost ready. The plants are absolutely COVERED with tomatoes...not much foliage, but lots of fruit! And really good!

Hope your summer is going well. We've been extremely busy here...lots going on and I've neglected my blog. Lucky you!!! I'll try to do better in the future! later...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your greenery looks great - the brown grass not so good, but I think you're right. It will probably come back.
More red bugs here on tomatoes. I don't know whether I'll eat any of those romas if they even survive the spraying. The bugs are surviving it. mln

Ann said...

The pool was simply divine Wednesday night. Thanks again! I just got caught up on your blogs and seriously laughed my butt off about your day full of idiots. Been there once too often myself.