Saturday, September 12, 2009

Beginning of the End


Well, it looks like this must be the beginning of the end of summer.

Here's a shot of my cannas. They have really pleased me this year. They're big and tall and completely hide the 6' privacy fence behind them. Of course, in a few weeks I'll be digging bulbs (I planted 71 bulbs and can't imagine what I'll reap...quadruple or more I'll bet.) Next year I'm going to try the "36 inch deep planting", supposedly you don't have to dig them up and replant because they're below the freeze line and will be ok. We'll see. (For a better look at these, just click on the picture.)






And here's my poor, tired elephant ears. They've had their fair share of compliments this summer, but now they're getting pretty tired looking. The bulbs here should be fairly easy to reap as they're planted in some good Miracle Grow potting soil. I planted 1 large and 3 small bulbs in April....hope to double or triple that in bulbs this year. I want to do a more extensive planting of these next year, where they'll be in the shade and get even more water. Less visibility to the public perhaps, but maybe it'll give me rewards in more bulbs again.






And then there's my poor fish-less pond. The zinnias have a blight of some sort. I went online to find out what's "buggin' em" and I think it's zinnia blight. All the description seems to fit. The leaves are dead, dying, looking like bad banana peels. Of course, the number one thing it says to do to prevent this: Don't water them from above...partly because it spreads the blight to the soil and you shouldn't plant zinnias there for at least two years. Well....duh....guess what, folks? Yep. But I think probably they'll be visiting the polycart this coming Wednesday. That should increase the daylight that the zebra grass gets too. I think it needs more sunlight. Next year I'm thinking maybe some Sweet Carolina - the sweet potato vine stuff - for low coverage and the zebra grass for height.

We've had wonderful rain and cool temperatures...which is nice...but I really hate to see summer go. It was incredibly short this year I thought. Maybe we'll have a long autumn. Count your blessings....they're plentiful!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: