Wednesday, April 25, 2012

And They Lived Happily Ever After.....

What a fantastic weekend I just had!!!   In order to maintain some privacy, I won't post photos of people here....but my son and his sweetheart of several years got married last Sunday morning.

I went to St. Louis on Friday, arriving about 3:30 pm.  The "couple" came to the hotel (Drury Inn...very nice!!!) and we got ready and went to meet the rest of her family.  I'd never met any of them before so was naturally a  little nervous.  Went to a Mexican foods restaurant (El Maguey) and it was great.  Super, super neat people.  Her parents, her twin sister and her husband and 2 year old son (what a doll!!!), her other sister and her husband...all were fantastic people.  I felt quite comfortable within just minutes of arriving.  A lot of food and drink and getting "stuffed!"

Then Saturday am while the bride and her female entourage had "mani's & pedi's", my son and I took in The Container Store and REI.  Both places extremely addictive!!!  WOW!!!   I'm actually glad they're not local!   At noon my son dropped me off at the Pastries of Denmark restaurant where I met the other women plus the daughters' godmother and her daughter.  Lunch was "girl talk" and "wedding talk"...and a lot of fun!

Saturday night was the "dress up" dinner at Bristol.  VERY nice...the food was exquisite, the service was too.  Again...what a great group of people.  And again...a lot of food (and drinks) and laughter.

My son spent the nights with me at the hotel, so Sunday am I followed  him in my car to the Old Hickory Golf Club where the wedding was to be held.  Beautiful setting!  The bride was stunning!!!  She's truly a very very pretty girl!

I'd never been to a Jewish wedding before and was in for a treat.  Many customs that I was uneducated about..and found absolutely fascinating.  The grandfathers' prayer shawl was draped over the chupah (canopy).  There were two glasses filled with wine; one to be passed from family member to family member, each taking a sip while the Rabbi said the blessings.  The other glass was a couple's blessing to be shared by the bride and groom.

Since this was an interfaith marriage, the Rabbi read/sang the seven blessings in both Hebrew and in English.  The couple circled each other seven times, maintaining eye contact.  This is to confirm they will protect each other (and more.) 

A ketubah - a marriage contract - is arranged and signed by both bride and groom, the Rabbi, and two witnesses.  It will be displayed in the couples' home.

The ring exchange was also different than I'd seen before.  The groom places the ring on the bride's right hand index finger as vows are spoken.  Then the bride places the groom's ring on his left hand ring finger.  Then the bride is told if she accepts her groom as her husband, the two of them should move the ring to her left hand, ring finger.

Also at one point the bride and groom each hold one end of a knotted handkerchief (the bride's grandfather's or great grandfather's I think) while repeating vows.  And then of course, there's the smashing of the glass.  The glass is inside a cloth and the groom steps on it and smashes it.  I read later that it is often said that's the last time he'll get to put his foot down!  :)   

After the ceremony and lots and lots of photos, we went to a private room for a wonderful brunch.  The parents of the bride then had a "crowning."  Traditionally after the last daughter is married (today it is sometimes the last child..male or female), then crowns are placed on the heads of the parents and their children dance around them.  Two wreaths were available and the bride and groom placed them on the parents' heads and then all three daughters and all three son-in-laws danced around them and gave them kisses.  Lots of laughter and fun!!!

All in all, an absolutely wonderful weekend!  What a memory!  Oh...and also both the bride and the groom had chosen songs to be read during the ceremony.  My son chose "What Are You Doing For the Rest of Your Life" and the bride chose "This Is Always."  Lyrics can be googled if you're interested....every time I read them I'm still leaky-eyed! 

I'm delighted to see my son take this step.  I'm delighted with his bride...she's not only beautiful, but smart and talented as well...and much more!  This is good...this is very good!

Count your blessings...mine are HUGE in number!!!  And I do appreciate them!

1 comment:

marlu said...

Really enjoyed the wedding through your eyes, which were shining with happiness! Congratulations to the couple and I know you will be a GREAT mother-in-law....