Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Ride To Yoder


Mary and I decided today was a good day for a ride to Yoder. Wind was out of the east-south-east. Going out of South Hutchinson we saw a tractor going south, but there was a car coming north that prevented us from getting across to the tractor's southbound lane. We took chase...but, alas, by the time we got to the new truckstop, we were both exhausted and the tractor had picked up speed.

About Crupper's Corner I realized I'd left my water bottle in my car. Hmmmm...well, on we go. Another tractor with a trailer passed us but he was going pretty fast...probably about 30 and we didn't even take chase.

A mile or so past the Crupper's turnoff, I heard something, checked my mirror, said to Mary, "Here's our ride...let's go!" And off we go...picking up our pace so that when the tractor and trailer come around us we're going fast enough to fall in behind him and be protected from the wind (drafting, in other words). Sure enough...it worked! We snuggled up to those three plastic barrels and just cranked along at a steady 15 mph. We didn't think the driver of the tractor could see us, but about a mile west of Yoder when he turned south towards the airbase, he turned in the seat and gave a big wave...as did we!!! Thank you!!!

I dropped back once to take a couple of pictures of Mary.

We've done this a couple of times before. One thing to consider here...when you're drafting behind an Amish man's tractor you need to be prepared to stop, swerve, whatever...there are no tail lights. But when we did it before it was a little more precarious: it was a horse and buggy...with the most adorable little boy that kept peeking around at us! But when you're riding behind a horse and buggy, you have to keep your eyes open for more than just some occassional rocks or truck tire tread...the horse is up there, ya know!?!

We stopped in Yoder for me to get a bottle of water and I took this picture of Mary and her bicycle.



And this one of my bicycle.



And Mary took this one of some fat chick. (Ok...fat old hen!)

We both agreed these are our "early in the season" fat pictures! We'll lose a few (hopefully I'll lose quite a few) pounds before the summer's over.

All in all, it was a great ride. 17.32 miles. Always lots of fun..lots of conversation...and lots of laughs.

When we got back to South Hutch and I pulled my helmet off and was loading up my bike, Mary said, "You've got something on your face..." She didn't think I'd want to drive across Hutchinson that way. I looked in the mirror and had a huge "goober" of either spit, snot, or salt-sweat all over my right cheek. I said, "Was that there when I went into the Kansas Station?" Mary didn't know. Maybe that's why people looked at me strangely.....ya think?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: