Sunday, November 16, 2008

Carol's Christmas Village

Last night Mary Lou, Patsy, and I went over to see Carol's Christmas Village. Carol has set up this incredible holiday village for several years. It encases the equivalent of a four-car garage. Now, I was there in November '04 for a wedding reception that was, in itself, large. Lots of people, lots of moving about...but still room for this incredible display. For even more pictures, check out Patsy's blog http://www.patsyterrell.com/blog.htm I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say both Patsy and Mary Lou were impressed...or maybe shocked. Patsy had never met Carol before, but within just a few minutes of our arrival, she turned to Carol and gave her a big hug, saying "I'm so glad to meet someone as nutty as I am!" The village area is huge...but that's only part of the story. Carol's entire house - including the kitchen curtains - are all Christmas themed.
The village is difficult to photograph because of it's sheer volume. Some of the more impressive things for me are the carousel, the ice-skating rink, water tower, a blinking rotating light (so low flying planes won't hit the mountains, I guess), and one of my very favorites: snow skiers slowly going up and entering a chalet-type structure and then skiing back down the other side. You should be able to see some of that in the photos.
But everywhere there's Christmas...tons, literally thousands of Santas. Big, little, old, new, made of every conceivable material. See the crocheted Santa...he's wonderful! Curtains at windows, rugs on the floors, mantle coverlets, bedspreads, wall hangings, and on and on.
Another of my favorites was the figure of Santa and one of the reindeer (in fishnet stockings, no less) dancing. Check out that photo too.
All in all, a wonderful, inspiring display. I don't consider myself a Christmas "nut" at all...but one can surely get enthused by displays like this one. And, perhaps, as Carol said...when you go home to set up your own Christmas decorations, you'll realize how really easy it is!!!
Happy Holidays Everyone.... and beware... I may have to decorate a little more this year!!

No comments: