Wednesday, February 25, 2009

72 Degrees at 5 PM

WOW! Another gorgeous day! Weatherman said it was still 72 degrees at 5 pm...and this is February 25th!
I did get out and ride A LITTLE today. I rode over to the newer bike path that starts at about 32nd and Lorraine and goes northwest for .8 of a mile. Then I just cranked around the neighborhood until I was too bored to continue. I wasn't really concerned about miles, just wanted to warm up some of the muscles that I used yesterday. I didn't even wear riding shorts...just regular old denim bermuda shorts. If you're not a cyclist, you may not realize how much better cycling is when you have on riding shorts. They have a chamois liner in them...makes sitting there a lot easier! If you really want to feel like you're getting better at riding, start out in jeans. Then a couple of weeks later, go to regular denim shorts. Then in a week or two, switch to some $24.95 riding shorts. Then when you're thinking you've really made giant strides, go get some $80-$90 shorts. There's incredible differences here. To begin with, long pants really pull down and make pedaling much, much harder. And you're sitting on that seam..OUCH! Riding shorts have no seams (and you don't wear underwear with them) and the chamois liner cushions your under-carriage. The difference between the $24.95 ones and the $80-$90 ones is just quality...it's an enormous difference. I'm also a firm believer in helmets, gloves, proper riding shoes...it all just makes life easier. And regardless of what shorts I'm wearing, the helmet, gloves and shoes are always there!
It was really nice to see so many people out on the new bike path today. Walkers, other cyclists, and even some roller-bladers...and some workers spreading what I assume was grass seed! Everyone's enjoying this unseasonably warm weather. I know I definitely am!

No comments: