Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saturday's Play

It's another gorgeous day in Kansas. August 29...this is normally the 100+ degree weather...and today we're in the 70's!!! Wow!! Beautiful.

About 8 this morning I took off on my bicycle and went to meet Concha and Carol. Then we three went to meet Mary over on the west side of town near the bike path. We decided to go to Nickerson...about 10 miles from the northwest side of Hutch. Light breeze out of the north, clear blue skies. Great ride!

We had heard from several different sources that there's a dog at the crest of Hendrick's Hill (between 69th & 82nd aves.). Hendrick's Hill is about the only "real" hill we have around here. We have a few overpasses, but Hendrick's Hill is a real hill. Ok..it's no mountain for a climber....but remember...I'm in Hutchinson, Kansas. That is totally flatlander's territory! And Hendrick's requires ALL the gears I have...including the grannie gear, so meeting a dog at the crest isn't good news! Well...when we started up the hill there was a large, looked to be maybe part Great Dane black dog lying at the edge of the road beside a driveway. He watched us, never made any attempt to even stand and barely looked at us. Appeared friendly and no problem. I don't want to be chased, but I hope he hadn't been hit or hurt. He didn't seem to be distressed so I'm trying to believe he's just cool and friendly and mellow. (And he wasn't there when we came back.)

I took this picture of some wild sunflowers in the ditch when we stopped so someone could water the weeds or something. I threatened to take a "Moon over Miami" shot but it was voted down! Where's the fun in that?!?!?!

We rode on into Nickerson and had cold drinks at the convenience store and then headed back to Hutch. Mary's husband, Wes, met us up on 82nd and rode with us briefly. (He tends to fall over when he has to go that slow, I think.) He's a racer...a serious racer...so he's not into the conversation and looking at the goats and little blue flowers, etc. But that's what makes the ride fun for us!

Anyway...we all once again got home safe and sound and better for the ride. I had 30.04 miles when I pulled into my driveway. Nice ride! ('Course, then I discovered that I'd missed a call from Patsy wanting me to go to Roy's with her....man, that sounds good!!!)

Now's just a beautiful time of year. Try to get out and enjoy the beauty of the season. It's awesome!


P.S. I came home, did a few laps in the pool while the charcoals were heating up, grilled me a hamburger, then made chocolate chip cookies!!! What a waste of those 30 calorie-burning miles!!! But it was sure good!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great ride - 30+ miles!
Thanks for sharing with us that don't ride and barely walk. mln