Sunday, December 20, 2009

Looking back & looking forward...

Looking back...and reading back....strange how time changes our opinions and goals.

I just spent a few minutes going back a year and reading what I had written here in my blog. Much of the same feelings this year regarding the holidays: bluntly, I'll be glad to see January roll around! Old country song about "If we make it through December, everything's gonna be alright"...seems pretty fitting to me. I think it's a time to be celebrated and thankful, but I think the commercial aspect of it all has totally wiped out a lot of people's common sense...as well as their ability to recognize what the season is all about! 'Nuff said? Ok.

One more thing from the near past that has probably changed for me is that I'm somewhat (probably more than somewhat) disappointed in Obama. I was all for him and what he stood for and what he was saying he could make happen. He's made a few decisions here lately that sure haven't set well with me. #1: LET'S GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS WAR!!!!! I totally believe that sending more troops over there is a huge mistake! (My blog, my opinion. You want to express an opinion, start your own blog!)

Ok...on to a new year....have you made resolutions yet? I usually don't, however, this past year I made one that I've actually stuck to for the entire year: that was to NOT answer the phone to a certain individual. It hasn't prevented his phone calls (he's a slow learner), but somehow I feel I've gained a little control over the circumstances.

I'm so proud of that accomplishment that I've decided to work on a few other things for 2010. The standard: lose weight, exercise more, bicycle more, walk more, eat more veggies and less sweets, give up Diet Coke...see, all related to my weight and condition. I'm 65 now and can still ride 30+ miles on a bicycle. You'd think would make me happy...but I don't do it nearly often enough. Wasn't but two or three years ago that we (the gals I ride with) wouldn't consider doing less than 20 miles a day...and that was usually 5 or 6 days a week. Now if I get out twice a month I'm doing good! That has to change...that's GOING to change! Granted, winter months means riding the trainer in the basement probably, but that's do-able!!!

Recently I had a bone density test and was told later that I have osteopenia in my spine. Of course, the doctor wants to start me on medication...a PILL...that's the standard answer! No! That's my standard answer. So the alternative is to up my calcium, increase my vitamin D, and do weight-bearing exercise. (When I asked the caller from my doctor's office if bicycling was considered "weight bearing" she assured me it was....I knew better, but I asked. SHE'S WRONG!!!) But, nevertheless, bicycling is good for all sorts of things - especially my knees and heart and lungs and attitude! So I'm also going to start tanning in a tanning bed...oh yeah, yeah...I know...but that's vitamin D and if you don't overdo it and become Miss Naugahyde it's probably a plus rather than a minus!!! And, by the way, a little on-line research indicates that osteopenia is a natural occurrence as we age.

Well...you see...this having one's own blog is handy! I get to say whatever I want and no one argues..yet.

Today was nice...over 50 degrees, light wind, sunshine (which we haven't seen much of here for a while). I thought about a bicycle ride..but chose to go out and rake the backyard instead. It needed it and I needed some outdoors exercise. Hope your day was spent productively and happily...count your blessings! I mean that!!! Good night!

No comments: