Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Big Sale...and Old Friends

Another weekend of craft sales and another good time. Christmas in the Foothills, held at the fairgrounds in Hutchinson, Kansas is probably the biggest local craft show around. I've done it for the past several years and always have a good time. It's two LONG days however!!!! LONG days!!!! Friday I was there from 8am until nearly 9pm, then returned on Saturday at 8am and it was about 5pm before I was out of there.

It's a pretty well-known show and draws a fairly good crowd. I heard several other vendors complain that they hadn't done as well this year. I actually did a little better than last year. And I thought last year was really great!

But I did have something happen this past week that really "made my day", I guess. Thursday night was "Third Thursday" in Hutch and a friend had asked me to come set up a table of my jewelry in her store. Originally I had said I couldn't because I had to set up for Christmas in the Foothills, but then realized I could do that earlier in the day and still do Third Thursday that evening.

It was a rather cold, windy evening and traffic where we were was incredibly slow. Mid-evening a couple that I've known for many years came in. Well, actually only she, Anita came in because they had a little dog with them. One of the other vendors that was set up also knew Anita, so we all began to chit-chat. Meanwhile there was a man that walked in and just kind of stood there looking at us...specifically he was looking at me. I didn't feel threatened, just a little awkward maybe. Finally he turned and went back outside. Shortly after that the husband, Larry walked in and I said to him, "What did you do with the dog, hang it from a tree?" He responded, "No, Palmer's got him." Well, Palmer was my first husband's best friend and he left here many, many years ago. I said, "Palmer's here??????" And Larry said, "Yeah....he came in but you didn't recognize him!" I jumped up and immediately went outside. Sure enough...there he was!!! Well...long story short (I know, too late)..we visited for probably a half hour and were just tickled to pieces to see each other. Then they all left. About 7:30 traffic was so slow that we all decided to give it up and go home. I was just getting ready to leave when in walked Palmer again! We wound up talking again for quite a while. Then Friday he came up to the Foothills sale and sat behind in my booth and we visited again. Then yesterday I was going to Walmart and there he was helping his 87 year old sister out of a van. Well, once inside the store she went on shopping and he and I stood and chatted again. He was planning to leave this morning to go back to Florida but it was wonderful to see him again. I did find out later that he hadn't recognized me either. His brother Larry had told him I was in the store and that's why he had came inside. As close as we can remember we think it's been about 45 years since we've seen each other. Sure was fun to reminisce!!

All in all a fun (and profitable) weekend. I'm working on trying to buy a little something for my living room, but so far I haven't been able to accomplish it. I'll keep you posted (with photos) if it happens.

No craft sale this weekend...couple of weeks of rest and catching up. Then two bigs one after that. I'll be posting on those too!!! Stay tuned!!!

Count your blessings!

No comments: