Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Southeast Saline's Prairie Patch at Gypsum

Once again the people at the Southeast of Saline School District have outdone themselves with their annual arts and craft show, Prairie Patch. Last Saturday, the 12th, was the day. Location...near Gypsum. Gypsum...town of about 400-450 people.

Earlier in the week a friend of mine had asked about the show and wondered whether they'd be able to get into it. I assured her it was huge and very full and I would seriously doubt they'd have any spaces left...but it doesn't hurt to call. So she did. A couple of days later she called me just pleased as punch...there'd been a cancellation and they had gotten in!!! What luck!!! But..as I drove up there early that Saturday morning, I thought to myself, "Cheryl has to be thinking I've sent them on a wild goose chase!" It's truly "out in the country." You're actually out in the country before you ever get to "out in the country."

Three gymnasiums. Hundreds of vendors. Huge spaces (12' x 12') Wide aisles. Perfect temperature...it was actually COOL in there. (Most craft shows tend to hit about 90 degrees, I think!) Great crowd.

Vendors are sent a packet with maps showing them how to get there, where their parking area is located, and where their booth is located in which gym. But the really neat part is: the students carry your "stuff" in!!! I carried my McD's diet Coke and my purse...that's it!!! And the young men even set my tables up for me. Awesome!

9 am they open the doors to the public....and the public, they're THERE! Until 4pm (actually it was 4:10 before I could begin to break down) there are customers. Lots of customers. From Gypsum, from Salina, from Bennington, from Herrington, from Topeka, from McPherson, from Assaria...from everywhere!

This is truly the perfect craft show. The promoters are friendly and helpful. They want feedback. There's even security people on site. And honestly....and those of you who know me know kids aren't my favorite thing....but these kids are SUPER! Every single one of them was polite and helpful. Extending their offer to help without ever being asked. Somebody...parents and/or teachers... is doing a great job in that school district. BE PROUD!!!

All in all, a terrific day!

No comments: