Monday, March 12, 2012

Great Rides

Wow!!! We have been having some gorgeous weather here. Last Friday Carol, Mary, and I rode and got in 30.5 miles. For March, that's pretty incredible in Kansas. Usually we have WIND!!! in March. Not so...well, at least not so bad.



It's about 6 pm Monday and the temperature is still 80 degrees!!!! And the wind is probably less that 15..maybe even less than 10 mph. AWESOME!!!! Carol, Mary, and I rode again this afternoon and it was absolutely perfect. Didn't even have to wear leggings! 27 miles!

After I got home I oiled my chain and pedals (and shoes)...then decided it was just to nice to quit with the outdoors stuff. So I cleaned the patio off....that hasn't been done all winter and it was pretty messy. I trimmed two clumps of zebra grass (like pampas but the stripes go horizontal instead of vertical) and emptyed a large pot of black fountain grass from last year. Thought maybe I'd be able to reuse some of the Miracle Grow soil but when I tipped it over into the polycart, it was a solid mass of roots. Well....that's interesting...because I had another one just like it...only it was planted in
a clay pot with fatter sides. So, knowing it was full of roots (and wouldn't begin to just be "dumped out"), I first cut the top completely off, then started with a butcher knife, sawing and digging and sawing some more. Finally I got most of the plant and main roots out of the pot. Haven't decided what I'll put in there this year. The fountain grass did very well there last year, but if I go back that way I'm going to have to dig the rest of this dirt out. Maybe something simple with shallow roots that would function even if the dirt does have leftover roots??? We'll see.


We have another ride scheduled for tomorrow and I'm totally looking forward to it. However, the weather guesser did say more wind tomorrow. Again...we'll see.


One of my new favorite expressions: The good thing about the future, it comes just one day at a time!


One more thing....speaking of the future...less than 6 weeks before my son and his sweetie get married. :) :) :) I'm really looking forward to that!


Count your blessings...they're numerous!

1 comment:

marlu said...

Glad you got to ride in this gorgeous weather!
(One of the security words is petworm. Reminds me to buy Sentry tabs.....