Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Again with "Biker's Humor".....

Carol and I (and sometimes Mary) have been putting in quite a few bicycle miles...at least for a bunch of old women!  Since June 14th (the date of my last post here) we've ridden 38.01, 28.50, 32.63, 25., 29.85, 41.86, 31.3, 20.46, 32.06, and 41.85 miles...that's a  total of 321.52 miles since June 14...or 662.18 miles total for June.  Am I proud??  Darned tootin', ya whippersnappers!   I'm the youngest (barely) of the three of us and I'll soon be 68 years old.  We had a guy tell us just this morning that he was impressed (we see him nearly every day)...and all I could think was, "So am I!"   Didn't figure I'd ever get back into this much riding again, and I'm loving it.

Yesterday was the second 3-digit day we've had around here (it hit 105 here) and today we're supposed to be around 107 degrees.  This morning it was just Carol and I and we were on for a 42-miler.  On the way back in we were talking about the heat and heat exhaustion and heat strokes, etc.  I told her that yesterday I had taken my car to get the oil changed and was waiting in the very cool, very air-conditioned waiting room when one of the service writers came in from the garage area at the dealership.  He was sweaty and very red-faced and clearly needed to cool off.  There are big double doors at both the north and south ends of this huge drive-thru garage and in Kansas that means the wind is moving through there.  Also they had a big..that's BIG...fan going...but he was clearly very hot.  Carol said, "Oh...and that's so dangerous!"   She was 100% sincere and serious...but all of a sudden it hit both of us how funny it was.  We're cranking along, sweating like crazy, out in the sun.... Duh....   Made us wonder if maybe the heat was getting to us!

It's hot...but it's fun and we all think good for us physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  I made the comment yesterday that there would be no war if everyone would get out and do this kind of stuff.  Maybe a little over the top, but .... maybe.

So get out there.  Go early...get home before it gets TOO hot....and hey, don't forget to count your blessings! 

One little after thought here:  Back at the beginning of this year I purchased a couple of Continental Gator tires...little pricey (about $50 each).  They are worth every penny.  The above day of 20.46 miles was because when I was about 11 miles south of here we heard a clicking.  I had a thread-thin wire in one of my tires.  Couldn't pull it out with bare fingers, so I rode it on in.  This is the first flat tire I've had since sometime in December or January.  That's phenomenal for me!  And I actually never had a flat.  I got home and pulled the wire, checked the tube which was punctured, and changed the tire.  But it never went flat when I rode on it for 11 or so miles.  Great tires...I love 'em!

1 comment:

marlu said...

Wow! That is so impressive!

Good tires too.....