Thursday, June 14, 2012

Maybe You Had To Be There......

You all know by now that I'm a bicyclist.  Well, sometimes when one's riding the endorphins or something make things terribly funny.  We had one of those days today.  This may not be funny to anyone else, but Carol and I found it hilarious!

To begin with, a week or so ago I bought a new pair of Shimano sandals to ride in.  Love 'em!!!  But the left one has a little squeak in it.  (I wore my old shoes one day just to determine it truly is the sandal and not the crank.)  Carol assures me it'll probably go away with time as hers had done the same thing and finally quit.

So it was windy here today...and got windier and windier as the day went on (at noon it was 23 mph with gusts.)  At 6:30 this morning we took off and rode into the wind out to Crupper's Corner (about 11 miles)...then went on to Yoder (another 4 or 5 miles.)  Usually we take a short break and then head back...and that will get us 32 miles total.    It was windy but we just kept plugging along and it wasn't that bad.  We got to Yoder and had our break and I suggested that we take Red Rock Road east out of Yoder for a few miles, then turn around and pretty much have the tailwind all the way back.  Carol's always ready for more miles so we did it.  We got out to the Buhler/Haven road (about 5 miles) and turned around and headed back.  By now there's quite a cross wind but we do ok.  When we got back to Yoder we had to stop for traffic before heading north on Yoder Road for a couple of miles.  I reached down for my water bottle and it literally fell apart in my hand.  The pop-up top just pulled right out of the lid!!!  I managed to go ahead and get a drink and we kind of laughed about it and headed north.  Two miles going with the wind...awesome!  Then we turned west again on Elmer Road.  The second we turned I heard it!  The wind was blowing across the top of my water bottle and it was "hooting."

A little ways down the road Carol said, "You have a regular band going on over there, don't ya?"  We got so tickled it was hard to pedal.  Like I said, maybe you had to be there...but it really was funny.  Every crank my shoe would creak and the water bottle was hooting!

The Bicycle Band

Never a dull moment.  It was a fun ride!  42 miles!  Life's good!  Get out there...enjoy all this...get some laughs...get busy living!!!  And don't forget...aw, you know:  count your blessings!




No comments: