Friday, January 23, 2009

Antiquated or Regionalized or Just "Folksy"?

Recently Richard Shank wrote a column for the Hutchinson News entitled From whence those old expressions come. Some of them he mentioned are:
A man that was so down and out, he was probably just walking around to save funeral expenses.
Someone talked so much that the only time he stopped speaking was to cut off a sentence and start a new one.
Or that someone was so excitable that he resembled a cat on a hot tin roof.
And we all remember when someone was just knee high to a grasshopper.
No one ever accused him of being honest.
He doesn't know whether to wind his watch or go to town and eat dinner (not quite how I heard it, but his version is less graphic than mine perhaps).
Few things that he didn't know were yet to be written.
More solutions than there are problems.
Hotter than the hubs of hell or colder than a well-digger in the Klondike (again...a little different than how I heard it..colder than a well-digger's "patootie").
Someone could be so tight they squeaked.
Gone to the dogs originated in the 15th century when food unfit for human consumption was thrown to the hounds.
Be green with envy.
Hat in hand was a reference to early day beggars.
Keep up with the Joneses.
Dime a dozen.
I find it amazing how many expressions people use and don't really think about what they are saying or to whom they're saying it. As I'm sure most all parents, and definitely all grandparents, know, "we" don't understand "their" language. Well...it works both ways. Here's a few examples (try these on your 'youngins' and ask for their interpretation of what you just said):
What if somebody doesn't "cotton" to you.
Or if they're running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
And if your back teeth are floatin'. (Had a 20-something ask me "Do you have any ibuprofen?")
One day in the dentist's office I commented that it "smells like a singed chicken." He laughed and said he doubted that his assistant knew what that meant!
Jerk up your girdle was one of my dad's favorites. It meant to hurry up and let's go!
Packing a kid. I think this one's more regional: My sister (Missouri/Arkansas) says it means pregnant. I interpret it as kid being carried on one hip.
Just shot my wad was one of my mom's favorites...it meant she'd spent all her money! Meant something totally different even in MY generation!
And then from a slightly different viewpoint: A friend of mine, Patsy who writes a blog had one entitled Sentences that Have Not Been Uttered Previously, where she stated that "Friends and I have an ongoing discussion about 'sentences that have not been uttered previously.' Our latest favorite is, 'If you're not going to sell it, it doesn't matter what it's worth. You might as well glue it to your jackalope.' I (Patsy) am the proud speaker in this case, referring to Greg wanting to glue some toy goggles from GI Joe on Ace Jackalope before the cruise."
Our family, and I'm sure probably yours too, also had some strange expressions that no one but an "insider" would understand. One I remember quite well was "Them your chickens?" It meant your mind wandered and you didn't complete your sentence or thought. Came from a situation in one of my parents' childhood when a neighboring child was standing on a box reciting poetry and saw some chickens in the yard, stopped in mid-poem, and said, "Them your chickens?"
My ex-husband always referenced time as "since Bully was a calf." Once a family friend watched my ex selling motorcycles and later told my dad that "he could sell ice to Eskimos."
Two other favorites of my dad were "wilder than a peach orchard boar" and "worthless as teats on a boar hog". (To me, those usually referred to my sister and to her dates respectively. 'Course later it might have been used on me and I just didn't hear it.)
In a bar in Missouri one night, I had a guy ask me if I knew what "Ignorsha" was. Turns out it's when you're trying to get someone's attention and he Ignorsha. (You can probably figure out how that conversation ended!)
Had enough yet? Well...how 'bout one for the road? When it's really, really cold in the Yukon, the sled dogs are brought into the house and allowed to sleep in the bed with the people to help conserve heat. Depending upon how cold it is determines the number of dogs brought in. If it's really cold, that's what they call a "Three Dog Night"!!!! (sorry...I just couldn't resist.)
And for some of those who moaned about that last one...and only two readers will know what this means: AT LEAST NO ONE EVER CONVINCED ME THAT I WAS INVISIBLE!!!!!
If you can think of some that you think should be mentioned, please email me with them at b_robinson@cox.net and I'll add them to the list! Thanks!

No comments: