Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Battle of the Badges

First thing this morning, I took Schiz out to Gretchen's to be groomed. After dropping her off I decided to go to the Battle of the Badges. Yesterday and today were the days to give blood and vote for the "department of choice" - either fire department or police department. They have a traveling trophy they're each striving to win.

Last year I went (and blogged about it here), but was deferred because of an antibiotic I was taking for my teeth. This year I'm still taking the same antibiotic, but because it's a "maintenance" drug now instead of "healing" one, I was accepted.

I pumped out my pint, had a bowl of chili and some carrot sticks, and drank some water. Felt great so I ran errands, making several stops. It's both a mental and a physical good feeling for me, I think.

About 1 o'clock I went to pick up Schiz and was standing holding her (11-12 lbs.) when all of a sudden I thought, "Wow...she's heavy!!!" I moved over to the little half door gate and rested my arm (and Schiz's weight) on the door. Within seconds I realized that I wasn't feeling too good. Very warm and somewhat dizzy! I told Gretchen and Sherry I had to go...needed to be out in the cold air...but when I turned to go I decided it was time to sit down NOW! I plopped down in a chair in the foyer. I was seeing big black circles with just a little vision around the outside. Felt like I was going to pass out...but I didn't. Gretchen and Sherry both commented later that I got white as a sheet and my eyes were clear blue. Gretchen kept trying to get me to let her make me some toast and jam, but after sitting for just a couple of minutes I felt ok and decided to go home.

After I got home, I laid down for what I thought would be a few minutes (I'm the master of the 7-10 minute nap...I almost never sleep during the day for more than that.) I laid down at 1:30...woke up at 2:50..hmmmm...guess I needed rest! I have given blood several/many times before and have never had a problem of any kind either during or afterwards...but today was a little different. I've been drinking lots of fluids and feel just fine now...but I may have decided that I'm too old to give blood anymore....maybe I need all of mine! I haven't done much of anything since then...decided today would be my day off of the bicycle/trainer routine. I've been riding 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week...usually taking Saturday and Sunday off. But today's the day off this week!


But on to better things...this is how Schiz looks. So clean and soft and fluffy!! And smells great too! She gets groomed every six weeks and I think the next grooming she'll have to be sheared down...mainly because if I wait until 6 weeks after that, it'll be nearly the first of May...and she'd be WAY too warm. (oh, btw....for those of you that think Shih Tzu's are supposed to have a little topknot with a cute little bow in it...all I can say is: Schiz doesn't agree with you... so we don't waste the bow or the time doing it! She'll leave it in at the groomer's when she's still in the crate, but 30 seconds in the car coming home and the bow is toast!!!!!)

Well...folks....that's all for now....have a great week and don't forget to count your blessings!!!

No comments: