Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

I've had several people contact via email and asked why I haven't blogged lately! Some thought evidently the "blood letting" did me in...no..not quite yet! The only reason I seem to have is that it's winter and it's boring...rather, I'm boring.

I'm riding the bicycle on the trainer 30 minutes a day, five days a week. I go to the post office about every day and hit Walmart a couple of times a week for groceries/supplies/whatever. That's my existence...pretty much.

But yesterday was a little more eventful. Since 1990 I've had an on-again, off-again "interest" (hard to refer to what we have as a romance, exactly) with a guy who is now from Missouri (at least for a while longer - he's retiring soon and will be moving back to town). January 1, 2009 my New Year's resolution was to not answer his phone calls anymore. It was never a smooth relationship...due to hang-ups both of us have. So I didn't answer for almost a full year.

But he called Christmas day and I answered. We've talked several times since then. Long story short-er....I agreed to see him the next time he came to Hutch. He has property here and kids and grandkids so he gets back fairly often. Well...this weekend he was going to be back and I agreed to see him...but nothing was set in concrete. He had said he was going to work on his building all day Saturday but that "I'll call...I'll definitely call"....but when by 5pm I hadn't heard from him, I thought, "Ok...pull your thumb outta your behind and do something!!!"

There was a play at the Arts Center that I was wanting to see so I called a long-time friend of mine and explained that although it was very short notice I wondered if she'd like to go. Yeah! So at 6:11 when "the guy" called and asked what my plans for the evening were, I already HAD plans. And you wonder why they call me a bitch, huh?

Anyway, so here's how it played out. After the play (about 9:30) and at his request, I called him and he met me. We rode around and talked and caught up, went out and looked at what all he'd done to his new building (very nice!), and wound up going to a couple of bars.

That's where the funny (funny-ha-ha or funny-weird...I don't know) stuff started. We went to a bar where we used to go a lot. It's really changed (and so have we, I'm sure)...everyone in there was probably in their 20's or 30's...most of them very overweight...some of them very drunk. I went back to the restroom. When I left the bathroom, right outside of the door, a pleasant enough young woman (I think she might have even been the barmaid) came up to me, put her arm across the front of me from shoulder to shoulder, hugged me, and said, "You're SO cute!!!!" I smiled and said, "Thank you..." Then made a beeline for my male companion! He got a kick out of it and said, "Well...look up at the dance floor..." There were three women on the dance floor dancing together....I don't know if that was a new form of line dancing but I think the best description of it would be "doggie-style." (Sorry, readers, if this offends you...but if they can do it that way in front of everyone, I can surely put it in print. No pictures, thank you!) At that point we kind of gulped our beers and left.

We went to another bar as we were looking for a place to dance, but right after we walked in, the barmaid yelled to the owner, "Do you want me to unplug the jukebox?" They were closing...so no dancing!

But...bottom line...it actually was a fun evening. The play early in the evening was funny and entertaining...although I didn't think it was "all that" totally. Personal opinion probably best kept to myself. But the reconnecting with an old boyfriend (I hate that term) was fun and interesting...and unless I was totally being blind, I think he's changed somewhat for the better.

And...he called this a.m. to ask if I was going to be his Valentine...to which I responded, "Uh....probably...depends on how much commitment it takes." And therein may lie the problem!

So...with that I'm going to quote Patsy Terrell in her blog for today (I really like this thought for the day..or week...or month...or whatever) :

Appreciate the love in your life, in whatever form it takes.

No comments: