Sunday, December 11, 2011

It Pays To Advertise ! ! ! !

Barbara's 3rd Annual Christmas Craft Show was a HUGE success! Many, many very good comments.

I advertised a LOT....several newspapers, 4 digital displays, lots of hand-outs and posters, 15 stick-in-the-ground realtor-type signs all over town, Channel 7 at 10 after and 20 til the hour all week, The Chamber - Hutchinson and Reno County website, the Kansas State Fair website, the Visithutch.com website, Facebook by a half-dozen people, mentioned two days on two different radio stations, a blog or two or three....and probably more that I'm not remembering at this moment.

We had a fantastic crowd! One of my friends who works at a church and is very nice gal emailed me and said, "To begin with: Holy Shit! I didn't think it was going to be that busy!!!" It was BUSY!!! I honestly think we had more people than I've seen at any other local craft show.


The main problem/complaint was "lack of space." We simply didn't have enough room. Next year I'll be looking for a bigger building for sure. Most of the vendors were absolutely wonderful to work with each other and try to make everything work out ok. I had only one that humped his back up and threw a fit. Even the nice people said he was a bully and rude. I tried to move him around and make him happy....and he said that it was a lot better...but the next morning he was over in the building that I was in complaining loudly to someone about "what a helluva mess it was over there last night." (The vendors set up on Friday night.) I suppose everyone has to have "one"....think about it, you'll figure it out.

Just a few of the highlights: I'd asked a couple of friends to serve as greeters and direct people to sign up for our door prizes and be sure to visit both buildings, etc. Betty had never "done" a craft show before. Even before 9am she had made several trips to store stuff under my table. I accused her of buying at least one item from each booth. She said, "DON'T YOU EVER ASK ME TO DO THIS AGAIN!!!!" Then a few hours later, she came over and added, "And if I do it again, don't sit me next to the food vendor either!!"

Our food vendor did a fantastic job. They served chili, and chili dogs, hot dogs, and homemade chicken and noodles. EXCELLENT!!!! Everyone was commenting on it...and you got a really large serving for not much money! She also had individually wrapped cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, coffee, 6-packs of cinnamon rolls, pies (either by the piece or whole), cream cheese bread, jalepena cheese bread....and even canned beets...plus a bunch more stuff. They are an Amish family and they arrived in a tractor pulling a trailer. Everyone helped carry stuff in....and the youngest was a little boy. I didn't want to break any rules so I didn't take any photos, but you've never seen anyone cuter! He was a doll...and he was a worker! He carried things in that were nearly as big as he was. I would guess he was maybe 3 or 4...absolutely adorable! All their kids were cuties and really hard working and respectful. And when closing time came around, they all did their share as well. Great family!

I had super vendors (mostly) and plan to do it again next year. I am/will be looking for a larger building however. I've got one in mind, but the $$$$$$ is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!

As my cuz keeps telling me: it's good to be me!!!! I'm counting my blessings and offering thanks for making it all possible.

No comments: