Tuesday, July 31, 2012

End of Month

Well, it's the 31st of July and I feel like I've accomplished quite a bit.  Carol and I took off this a.m. with clouds but not really too worried about rain.  It doesn't seem to happen here.  We started hearing thunder and when we were at Avenue A and Main Street, Mary called and wanted to know if we were getting our "bunnies" wet.  No......well, it seems she was just coming up to the south Main bridge and she was getting soaked.  We went on a few more blocks and Mary called again...really getting drowned.  By this time we were at about C and Main and only a half dozen blocks from where she would be.   Shortly she and Jessica appeared and they'd been soaked.  We were still completely dry!  Noticing lightning in the west we decided to go sit it out for a few minutes in a shelter in the park.  Just as we entered the park it opened up!  The other three went on but at the fountain I saw a guy on a motorcycle that I know so I went back to hassle him a little.  When I pulled out of that area, there were two cross-country touring guys.  Struck up a conversation with them and they joined us under a shelter.  Their goal for today was Cassoday.

Mary's husband called and wound up coming to pick her up, but the rest of us rode out to Highway 50 to show the way to the touring guys.  They went on east and we back tracked through the park, through South Hutch, out to Crupper's Corner and on to Yoder.  After a quick break we headed back on Trail West Road to Crupper's Corner.  Jessica (a new rider that just joined us yesterday and is welcome back anytime!!!  23 and a total sweetie.  And an excellent rider!) had an appointment at 10:30 so she dropped off in South Hutch.  She needed 9 more miles which she said she'd get later today to get 700 miles for July.

Carol and I proceeded on around "the long way" at Carey Park, on out to Highway 50, and finally headed home.  Carol needed about 35 miles to have 1,000 miles for July, and I needed 38 miles to get 800 miles.  We all made our goals!!!   I now have 2,509 miles for the year...the biggest year I've had in a long, long time...and the year isn't even done yet!

I've enjoyed riding more this year than I think I ever have.  Carol is great company and the miles really just fly by.  The other day we were talking and we both agreed that even though we've known each other for years and years, it's only been the past couple of years that we've really connected.  She credits my ex and I for being the reason she started riding...and I have to laugh because she has so far exceeded anything either of us ever did!  She's a very solid, safe rider and that's especially important when you're riding with others.  There's a time for fun and goofiness...and there's a time to know that your mistake could be your LAST mistake.

And with that cheery note....I'm outta here!!!  Count 'em....you know!

No comments: