Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ride to Ruthie's at Partridge

What a great morning.  We took off early as usual and wound up riding west from Crupper's Corner over to Partridge.  Sign says it's 9 miles to Hutchinson.   Don't know what part of Hutchinson they were measuring to and obviously they went via the highway (and we didn't)...but I already had 17+ miles.

There's a tiny restaurant in Partridge called Ruthie's.  I think I posted something here one other time about Ruthie's.  (One day Mary and I drove over and we'd heard there was a restaurant there and didn't find it, so we asked some guy walking down the street.  His response was something like, "Yeah...up there on the corner....if you don't mind getting food poisoning"   We skipped it that day.)  Carol's husband goes to Ruthie's a lot and my ex-husband goes there quite a bit.  This morning Carol said, "Well....do you guys want to risk going to Ruthie's???"  We all said YES!

Partridge is a tiny town...dirt Main Street...and the cafe is ultra-small.  Lots of stuff piled everywhere and lots of signs and newspaper articles posted here and there on walls and refrigerators.  Toast is $.40....yeah....that's 40 cents!!!  Oatmeal is $.75.  And everything is really, really cheap.  I didn't see this first hand but I've been told if you want jelly for your toast, you get a jar with a spoon in it!  You want a can of pop?  They're in the refrigerator..help yourself.  Same for cream for your coffee.  This a.m. Mary and I each had a Diet Coke and Carol had coffee.  No charge for the coffee and Carol paid for the cans of Coke and I think it took $1 to pay for both of them.  :)   Awesome, huh?

We were the only ones in there at the time and Ruthie stood/sat and chatted with us.  She's a charmer!!!  She got "good old common sense" and is a true gem.  She keeps her prices low because she has a lot of farmers that come in there and they're having to pay double for seed and fertilizer these days.  She said she's heard of places that charge $2.39 for a piece of pie.  Can you just imagine that!?!?!

All in all...and this comes from others more than first-hand knowledge...I'd recommend Ruthie's Cafe.  She cooks and thinks like your mother used to...if it's got mayonnaise in it, don't keep it too long.  If it needs to be cold, keep it cold!  I've heard the food is really good and I know the prices are absolutely ridiculously low.  And Ruthie herself is wonderful. (And...watch for this in your local uppity joint:  she swings a mean flyswatter too....away from the tables, away from the food....but she keeps the flies down!)

When we left we all said goodbye and that "we'll be back!"....and we all meant it.  Cool place!  Neat lady!  I'm kind of thinking we just might try to go back tomorrow!!  And I may even try the pie.

I got in 35.72 miles today....which gives me 98.08 for the first 3 days of July....and 1807.41 for the year!  I'm happy!  It's SO good for me in so many ways!

Count your blessings...I do..every day!!!!

No comments: