Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Just a short rant

Ok..took mower to Ace Hardware. About an hour later Larry called and said the two front wheels have molded plastic gears in them to "self-propel" the mower...and they were chewed up...shot...no good. I asked "why?"...and his response was that either I am not picking up the front of the mower when I turn OR things are made poorly in today's "disposable society". The wheels are $20 each..plus I'd asked him to "go over" it...another $40. I chose to have him hold off ordering the wheels for a couple of hours until I could call Sears.

I called Sears...lawn and garden department. Explained that I'd bought the mower 7/1/08 and wondered what my warranty would be. I'd have to call their 1-800-4myhome number...so I did. After some discussion, it was determined that I have two years parts and labor..."and after that you'll want to buy the extended warranty." Yeah, right!! I was told I'd need to call the store to schedule the repairs. So...second time...I called the store. Guess what? I have to call the 1-800 number to schedule the repairs...probably someone local, perhaps Wichita, the guy wasn't sure.

Here's where I shot myself in the foot and liked it! I explained to the guy that I wouldn't darken their door again to even so much as buy a pair of pantyhose! I don't like Sears! I don't like Craftsman...now to be known as Crapsman!!!

I called Larry at Ace Hardware and told him to order the parts! I'll pay for them before I'll go around and around with Sears! However...I'll also "drive it like it's stolen" this whole summer because I WILL take it to Sears if it goes bad again...only I'll do it in February or sometime when I don't need a mower ever four or five days!

What has happened to our society? Why are things...not just lawnmowers...made so shoddy and poorly that one learns to EXPECT to buy new in a short time. I've recently returned a vacuum sweeper that I'd had only about a month because it was louder than loud and couldn't pick up a piece of lint. I've returned irons because the shot of steam button sticks down after just a couple of weeks...(given, I DO iron a lot).

Ok..I said SHORT rant...I've deleted about two paragraphs..count your blessings! And I'll count mine... Life IS good... Thank God I'm able to use a lawnmower...and afford a lawnmower...and afford the replacement parts for it. And I have green grass! Life IS good! Count your blessings!

No comments: