Saturday, May 1, 2010

Got Another Dog

So yesterday I stopped at a garage sale and the people had dogs. The woman was holding a 5-month old Pekingese on her lap that was just the cutest thing ya ever saw (and that's saying something...because as much as I love Shih tzus I'm just not too crazy for Pekes). But this one was really cute and well mannered.

As we discussed dogs she had her husband bring out the most gorgeous critter I think I've ever seen. She was an 8-month old Shiloh Shepherd. WOW!!!!! Looks like a VERY large German Shepherd but with a little bit longer hair...and not as low in the hind quarters. Extremely affectionate and just beautiful! They've been around since the 1970's but are not yet an AKC recognized breed (according to Google) but they can be shown in specialty shows. My understanding (and this may be dead wrong) is that they are a breed developed from cross-breeding German Shepherds and wolves and Great White Pyrenees. I see Pyrenees only in coat density and size. What a gorgeous animal!!! Females are around 120 lbs and males 130-140 I think it said. Google it and check it out!

Anyway...as you can probably tell by the pictures, I came home with a dog. He's a digger...just can't get a picture with his head showing. Schiz wasn't at all sure she liked him at first...now she just ignores him.



Ok....he's battery-powered and that part doesn't seem to work. The man said, "He barks...and makes another noise...." His wife said, disgustedly, "He FARTS!" They told me up front they didn't think he worked anymore....but I tried fresh batteries and could only get a little grunt, grunt noise out of him. But I only gave a quarter for him!! I originally bought him to put in my sister's yard (she hates me)...but now I'm thinking he's kind of cute back by the polycart! I may just keep him...at least, for awhile.

I know....I've really got to quit going to garage sales!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dog is only showing his good side! You had me fooled at first!

mln

amy d said...

my neighbors sister breeds and raises shilo shepherds in virginia...they are the most adorable things i think i have ever seen...like big teddy bears! i haven't ever heard of them around here until now. my husband has wanted one since the first time he saw pictures (we used to have a g shepherd years ago) glad to know there getting closer! thanks

Barbara said...

Amy - The people that had this one said they were not allowed to buy "breeding rights", had to have her spayed, and also had to have her stomach tied (my understanding of this is that it is to prevent a twisted gut that larger breeds sometimes get.) But WOW!!!! What a sweet, gorgeous animal she was!!!