Saturday, July 17, 2010

Memories


When I was a freshman at Buhler High School (1958-59)...(oh, rest your brain...I'm 65!)...I had a good friend whose parents were missionaries in India. She was sometimes at school in Buhler and sometimes in India.

She gave several of her friends little ivory trinkets from time to time. I've kept this one for over 50 years!

That's a dime...a tiny dime...and the animals are hand-carved ivory. (Don't know what the restrictions on ivory were at that time.) Originally I think there were twelve animals, but now I'm down to only nine.

All the animals fit inside the little pepper seed with a carved ivory plug. I love this little memory...I truly find it "priceless!"

Most of these pictures aren't very clear but I simply can't get in close enough with my camera. To get close (at all) I have to put it on a setting that doesn't flash..so then the light isn't very good...and I don't dare take them outside to sunlight or they'd be gone with the wind, I'm sure.

The last picture especially is pretty blurry, but just trying to show the tiny-ness of even the pepper seed into which they all fit.

Thank you, Mary Ann....wherever you are.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen such tiny figurines, SO CUTE. If it were me I would've already lost them all!
Umm...I caught a fish today, it's my goal to tell the world!! Hope your doing fine.
Madi

Patsy Terrell said...

Those are AMAZING! Wow... so cool... love, love, love them.

Natty said...

Barbara...
You likely have a setting on your camera that is just the symbol of a tulip.
This setting is Macro. It allows you to put your camera right next to an object without any zoom and it will focus on the object with a half press of the button. You are likely to hear a beep when you do that, the beep means it focused. If you then follow through by pressing the button the rest of the way, it will be a perfect photo -up close and personal!
Practice with your camera, each has a different distance at which the camera is happy to be relative to the object. Some camera it's cm, others its inches.
This is one of my favorite settings for photographing flowers!!!
You see so much with Macro!
Good Luck,
~Scatty