Friday, January 28, 2011

60 Degrees & a Bank Robbery !

And people say Kansas is DULL!!!! Ha!

Yesterday was gorgeous (and today's supposed to be even better!!)....60 degrees, sunshine, no snow left, very little breeze...really lovely. I went for a short bicycle ride - up to the bike path, down and back (and sorry, counted 45...yes, 45!!!...dog piles...people, you're there for exercise...if your dog goes, bend over and pick up the poop!!!!...Oh well, that's maybe an editorial for the Hutch News)...anyway, all in all a wonderful afternoon.

After I got home I took Schiz for a walk down to the soccer park (about 1/2 mile maybe) and all of a sudden there were cops everywhere..going this way and that. One stopped and asked me if I'd seen a two-toned tan car. "No...not that I remember...." Then my neighbor was out and they asked him too. Thinking someone was probably drag-racing or something, I continued my walk and was happy as a clam.

I'm babysitting for my neighbor's little Shih tzu, Bandit....who's a doll but Schiz does NOT like him AT ALL....so about 6pm I went down to take him for a short walk. As we wandered around the yards I noticed two people in similar uniforms walk across the intersection a block south of me. I thought they looked like cops. ??? No biggie.....

After taking Bandit back home and coming inside, I heard car doors slamming. It was dark by then so I just peeked out my kitchen blinds. Two cop cars and two officers walking across the lawn right across the street from me. They went to Dwight's door, talked with him, and then he opened his garage door for them. Then they continued around the cul de sac having everyone do the same thing..opening their garage doors.

I'm a firm believer a nosy neighbor is the best insurance policy you can have so I continued to watch...not even trying to hide the fact that I was watching. I had turned on all my outside lights (and living on the corner that's quite a few). Shortly they got to my place and I found out what was going on: there had been a robbery up on 30th street (I found out later it was an armed robbery at the drive-up window to a bank) and they thought the vehicle was still in the area. I opened my garage door, then my neighbor's who I'm dogsitting for, then back across the cul de sac circle to open one where they didn't receive an answer and I had the code for the door. Nope, none of us robbed the bank! Guess we're all in the clear!

When I found out details later, I heard that it was a woman who had robbed the bank....and those cops didn't even frisk me or anything!

My big question now is: how does one hold-up a bank from a drive-up window????? Isn't that bullet-proof glass???? Couldn't the teller just duck and ring an alarm or something? What's wrong with this picture???

Well...so today's supposed to be near 70 degrees with very little wind. I already have a bicycle ride scheduled with a friend, so I'd better get busy around here so I can play hard later. Count your blessings....and your money if you robbed the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: