Saturday, May 12, 2012

City-Wide Garage Sale

Buhler, a small town about 12 miles northeast of Hutchinson, had their city-wide garage sales today.  I've participated in this event for the past 3 or 4 years..setting up my display of sterling silver jewelry.  Although it's not "garage sale" merchandise, I usually do pretty well.   I went to high school (many years ago) with a guy that owns a lot of Buhler properties, so I've always been able to set up my tables in front of one of his stores - right on Main street.  Today was no exception.

Traffic was somewhat light...due to either cool, cool weather..almost rainy from time to time, to competition in Hutchinson with the annual art fair going on (it's a pretty big deal)...to possibly people just deciding it was too hard to get there.  Construction on K61 highway prevents crossing at 30th street...so I went to 43rd, then found out I couldn't go north to 56th..so continued east to Prairie Hills and then back south to 30th..then east on 30th, north on Buhler-Haven road....lots of wasted time and miles.  (BTW...it IS the Buhler-Haven road...NOT the Haven-Buhler road as some people I know think!!!)  At any rate, traffic was light but the people who were there still bought a few items - enough to make it worth my time going.  An overall enjoyable day.

But....one of the most enjoyable events of the day:  Five..and later 6 or 7...young men (someone said they were 5th and 6th graders) played their musical instruments right across the street from us.  The trombone player had music in his soul..or maybe that's "soles," as he'd start playing and he'd start moving.  He just almost danced the whole time.  One of the late-comers performed a really good "robot" dance.  Yeah, they weren't pros, but they were really "into" it, and it was fun to listen and watch.   I had noticed people just walking on by them, so I dug out $1.35 and went across the street.  They were taking kind of a break so I said, "Ok, guys...here's the deal:  you gotta seed this pot so people will know they should drop a little money here!"   I put the dollar into one of the horn cases and laid the quarter and dime on top of it.  They all thanked me and  one of the boys said, "We have a $5 bill....but were afraid to put it out or the wind might blow it away!"  I said, "That's why I brought the quarter and the dime!"   They were so cute!  They played most all morning and got a lot of attention.  I also saw several people drop money in the case.  Cool, huh?  My son is/was a musician...starting very young...and I truly believe they need all the encouragement they can get.  Saw a bumper sticker years ago that I always liked:  Hug a musician...they don't get to dance much!

Fun day!  Made a little $$$, caught up with a couple of old friends and what's going on in their lives, and just all in all enjoyed the day!   Hope yours was good too.  Count your blessings...they're many!!!!

1 comment:

marlu said...

Very neat! I like those little musicians too.