Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Moments to Savor, to be Proud of..and Moments to Wish Undone

The weather has been spectacular here.  Absolutely perfect for bicycle rides! 

Sunday Carol and I rode over to Nickerson for coffee/diet coke and met two "sets" of touring bikers.  The first two guys were from Santa Barbara, California and Seattle, Washington.  They were traveling from Pueblo, Colorado to Pittsburg, Kansas.  They had stayed at Hedrick's Exotic Animal Farm at Nickerson the previous night..and seemed to think it was pretty neat.  The man from Santa Barbara said that he didn't mean to cast aspersions on Kansans, but that he'd never seen so many FAT people.  I immediately sucked in and tried to stand taller.  He said that the other room occupants at the farm were "at least 40 pounds overweight!"  I can only assume his sunglasses were smudged and he couldn't see me very well.

Later, on the way back to Hutchinson, we met two more fellows who were from West Virginia.  After a little conversation, one of them asked (about the herd of cows and calves that were grazing in the pasture next to us), "So....are those eating cows?"  I smiled and said, "Yep, they're eating right now, in fact."  Totally went over his head!  Then he pointed to one particular cow and said, "So how old is he?"  Carol said, "Those are mother cows...."  He also wanted to know if the little ones were veal.  Ya know, this being a country hick ain't always easy!!!! 

So Sunday's ride took us a little longer...but we did get in a little over 27 miles.

Monday after coffee Mary and Carol and I took off again on our bikes.  We thought the wind was out of the north...but it wasn't.  So we cut across town, got on the bike path, went out through South Hutch, past Crupper's Corner and headed west.  By Crupper's Corner we already had in over 11 miles.  I made some comment about the wind..and Carol said, "Well, if you don't think you can make it, we can turn around."  It wasn't said to be a challenge, and we all laughed at the same time.  I wasn't about to turn around and she knew it!!!  :)   We got in over 27 miles.

This morning Carol and I met Mary down by the reformatory and rode Yoder Road down to Trail West (aka Elmer Road).  Took Elmer Road over to Highway 96 and back into South Hutch.  Just on the south edge of South Hutch we have to go under an overpass.  There is NO shoulder.  We are all very careful and bluntly, darned good riders.  We take our lane (it's four lane) and hold it.  That's the best way to keep from getting hit.  Be assertive!  Well, a large truck pulled right up on us and laid on his horn.  He had an entire other lane and no other traffic.  He just wanted to be an obnoxious butthead!  And was successful.  Then's when my "not so proud moment" occurred.  As we turned the corner by McDonald's to get off of the main street, we signaled to turn.  As I completed the turn, I continued to hold my arm up...even higher...finger extended...and yelled "F--- U"...only I didn't abbreviate it!  We rode on and the trucker caught the next corner and came around the block facing us.  We were all wondering which driveway, yard, what we'd have to take to get away from him.  We all noted it was a metal company out of Wichita and he stopped and tried to talk to us.  Carol went on by.  I stopped by his door and said, "What's your problem?"  He said, "What problem?"  I said, "You're an asshole" and rode away.  Mary was with me the whole time.  As we rode on around the next corner we could still hear him yelling...no one responded.  We all know the name of the company...but you know what....me flipping him off and yelling obscenities won't make a difference.  He's a moron.  Calling the company won't make a difference.  Then he'd just be an unemployed moron with time on his hands.  I should have just turned the corner and let him think he'd won.  Wish I would have...I'd be much prouder now.  Anyway, we all had something to talk about (not that we ever lack anything to talk about)...and I got in another 26+ miles.

So that's my moments to savor, to be proud of...and moments to wish undone.  But..for what it's worth....the thought crossed my mind:  I have a can of Halt hanging on my handlebar bag....oooooooohhhhhh....I could have made an even bigger mistake!!!!

Count your blessings....get out and enjoy this gorgeous day!  It's AWESOME!!!!!

No comments: