Friday, December 12, 2008

Salt Soup

Just returned from a three day trip to Joplin, Missouri where my sister lives. When I left Hutchinson, Ks about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, we'd had a little snow - not enough to really worry about, but the Wichita radio stations were saying "slick", so I decided to wait until it had time to thaw a bit. I usually go to Wichita and take Hiway 400 to Pittsburg, and then on down to Joplin. From Wichita east for about 30-50 miles was pure slop. They'd had a little more snow than Hutchinson had...and I'd say quite a bit more salt!! If they'd had 1-3 inches of snow, they must've applied 1-3 inches of salt/brine!!! What a mess! I was covered up several times with over-spray from semi trucks and just from the other traffic in general. By the time I got to Joplin, I knew I HAD to find a car wash. I called my sister from just north of Joplin and told her I needed to find a car wash before it got any cooler (it was about 2:30 pm).





I went by her house and picked her up (and took these photos). She directed me to the car wash she uses and Zippy looked a whole bunch better in just a few minutes. They'd had only a dusting of snow at Joplin so their streets were dry. I mentioned to the manager (seen walking in the background) that this was the best car wash I'd been to in a long time...suggested they needed one of these in Hutchinson. The owner has 11 car washes...but the furthest one from Joplin is in Branson. It was cheap (I washed all that off for $1.75) and the pressure was wonderful (I didn't even use a brush or rag..just water pressure).
As many of you already know, I just love this little roller skate of a car. 2009 Honda Fit Sport - bought it two months ago and I have absolutely NO complaints of any kind about it. It's roomy, it's zippy, it's fun! First time I came back from Joplin I set the cruise control at 55mph (and kind of kept my hand up blocking my face, because EVERYONE hated me, I'm sure), and I drove pretty much for mileage...and boy, did I get it. I averaged 46 miles per gallon!!!! Since then I've been getting about 31 to 33 mpg in town, and coming home from Joplin today, I drove 68 (cruise control) and got 39 mpg. Great car!!! (And great car wash on 32nd Street in Joplin, Mo!!)

No comments: