Friday, November 6, 2009

Disappointment............

Late this afternoon I learned that a craft fair that I thought I was to be in tomorrow, simply isn't going to happen for me.

I met my friend Pat at the Methodist Church and we were waiting for the "person in charge" to arrive. I decided to run a couple of errands, and when I returned Pat met me with a very upset look on her face.

We were going to share a 10 x 10 booth...the church people were to provide one table and I have a 6 foot and a 4 foot table of my own that we were also going to use. Seems that their idea of 10' x 10' is actually one table...down the middle of a lane. When Pat had sent in the entry she put just her name and her creative cards on it...never thinking there might be a problem. Well, there was. No booth sharing and no extra space evidently.

I stayed and waited for another lady who "has the final say".... and caught a bit of a conversation between her and the first lady. I saw her nod to the hallway and laugh, so I "mosey-ed" over there. She said she thought the traffic flow was ideal the way it was and didn't want to change anything. They had large (like 4-6' in between the booth spaces) and I could see plenty of room for several more tables...but NO! So I mentioned that I'd seen her nod to the hallway, and asked if she would let me set up my own table(s) out there. Well...no...they're going to have a cake and pie bar around the corner and that might restrict flow out there. All in all, she just plain wasn't going to change her mind. She suggested that I leave my name and they'd sent me an application for next year. I remained polite, thanked her, said goodbye to Pat and another friend, and walked out to my car.

Once I got to my car, I got one of my business cards out to take back in to her, and when I walked back in the ladies were once again huddled in conversation. One saw me and said (almost as if to notify the others of my presence), "Oh...she must have had a card!" So I left my card and came home.

I'm not happy about this. I'm not upset with Pat as I don't feel it was her fault. But I think the church women should have considered this is a money making thing for their women's group, there truly was plenty of space, and I offered to pay full booth fee for even a hallway space. Someone near to me suggested I should have asked, "What Would Jesus Do?" Too much, huh?

Anyway, so the rest of the evening has been spent looking for another craft fair somewhere tomorrow. So far, nothing. There's one at Anthony...but that's 70 miles away...and I didn't even call to see if I could get a booth, because this is deer rutting season and I don't want to drive 70 miles pre-8 am!

I'm just disappointed!!! Oh well...I have another show at the local tanning salon Wednesday of this next week...and so far, they've been really good. Hopefully the next one will be as well.

This weekend is supposed to be gorgeous so maybe I'll get in a bicycle ride or some yard work (that's a waste of time...Sir Sycamore isn't nearly done dropping it's leaves!!). Enjoy your weekend...and count your blessings!! (I'm trying...)

No comments: