Sunday, November 22, 2009

Wild Weekend

It's been a wild ride, baby!!!!!!!!!!!! I've spent the past two or three days getting ready for, doing, and getting over a big craft show. The "Christmas in the Foothills" craft show was here in Hutchinson Friday and Saturday. I went up to the fairgrounds Thursday afternoon and sat up my tables and displays. Then Friday I was there at 7:45 am to work my booth. The doors closed at 8 pm and we were able to leave by about 8:30 or so. Saturday hours were 7:45 am til about 4 pm.

"Christmas in the Foothills" started several years ago at one of the promoters' homes in the Foothills area north of Hutch. Then it grew and escalated into the now Domestic Arts building at the Kansas State Fairgrounds.

The three main gals that put this show on must work themselves to a frenzy!!! It is exceptionally well handled, well advertised, and well received. The crowds both days were great!!!

They have a system of collecting the monies that seems to really work as well. My booth was a little different, but I think it seemed to work pretty well. I wrote tickets and the shopper took the ticket to the check out with their other purchases, then dropped back by my booth (very close to the check out) and we traded their ticket (stamped "PAID") for their sack of goodies with the copy of the ticket attached to it. There may have been a few slip-ups, but overall it seemed to work pretty well.

I had said my goal was to earn enough in those two days to pay my real estate taxes for the first six months. (I was asked if I didn't make that much did that mean I wouldn't be able to pay my taxes? No...I just want to feel like I'm paying them with "free" money!!!) At the end of Friday I was pretty happy! By the end of Saturday I was ecstatic!!!! I had a very good sale...a Very Good Sale!!! I had a very, Very, VERY good sale!!!! I can pay my taxes and still have a little left over! (I realize in "real life" there's no such thing as paying your taxes and having anything left over...they'll be back to get the rest somehow I'm sure!)

I now hope that I have a much clearer idea of what it takes to be a real craft fair vendor. I ran out of a very crucial item that is a good seller. I had 46 pair of earrings of a particular style that always sells....at the end of Friday I had 9 pair left. By 10 am Saturday those were gone too. Next year...just wait til next year.

However, part of the problem I'm facing now is that I have craft shows on December 5, December 7, and December 9. I still have inventory...but not very many pairs of earrings!!! And not any of THE earrings!!!! I may have to take orders and promise them before Christmas. (I came home Friday evening and ordered 50 more pair...now I'm thinking maybe I should have doubled that order even!)

Anyway...after the show Saturday I kind of just dumped everything in my rolling suitcase and came home. What a mess!!! I spent a lot of today sorting and cleaning and counting inventory. Sure looks better now.

I can only agree with a comment my cousin said.....it's GOOD to be me!!! Count your blessings.....I do!!! I genuinely do! It's not just the $$$$ by any means...I love meeting the people, and talking to everyone, and seeing old friends, and making new friends. It was a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!

No comments: