Saturday, November 14, 2009

Prairie Patch Craft Show - Gypsum, Ks.


Wow!!! Oh WOW!!!!!! Mary and I went to the Prairie Patch Craft Show near Gypsum, Kansas today. (Gypsum is between McPherson and Salina..kind of North of Assaria.) We left Hutch at 9 am and pulled into the school parking lot there at 9:58 am. Sign said "10 til 4"...perfect timing!

On the "final stretch" we noticed there was a lot of traffic. Gypsum is listed as population 414 persons...I'm sure that road got more use today than it has in quite a while! There was a great crowd!

I was searching for local craft shows on-line when I "ran into" this one. The website said the show began in 1999 with 20 vendors and attendance of a couple of hundred shoppers. Now they fill three gyms with 120 vendor spaces and an attendance exceeding 2,000. I thought I needed to go check it out (there were no spaces available by the way, or I would have been there as a vendor!)

I took lots of pictures and these are just a few of the really wonderful crafts exhibited. I picked up cards from several vendors (thinking of maybe trying to attract them to Hutchinson for a show next year) and found they were fairly local: McPherson, Hillsboro, Lindsborg, Marquette, Council Grove, Pratt, Herington, Abilene, Osborne, Salina..and even one from Beatrice, Nebraska.

There were purses, jewelry, wood crafts, quilts, candies, jellies, marble-art, popcorn shirts, embroidery, stone work, furry puppets, greeting cards, and a myriad of other crafts. Kansas is full of really talented people!

The building was FILLED with buyers!!! Tons of people shopping and buying and looking. A truly great market!

They also had a varied menu of some really delicious sounding, delicious looking food...and prices were extremely reasonable..both for the food and the crafts.

It was a fun day. I think both Mary and I fully enjoyed it. The weather was somewhat cooperative...overcast, but not raining or snowing or too bad. It was a good day!







Posted by Picasa

No comments: