Friday, March 11, 2011

Hawk?



As I was running my errands today, I saw this hawk just standing in the gutter at the corner of Countryside Drive and Whitmore. That's a very residential area that's only about a block north of Main Street.

I went past it the first time, made a u-turn, and went back with camera ready, because I thought he'd take off. I snapped several pictures and he just stood there in the water.

But when I started to pull my car up a little further, he finally took flight and disappeared.

Seems unusual to me to see a hawk right in town. I don't know my birds...but isn't that a hawk? Somebody comment and tell me for sure please. Maybe he was fishing?


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

marlu said...

Lee thinks it might be a Mississippi Kite. They are a type of hawk (I think.) I thought they were black though.....

Barbara said...

A cousin said: "when I enlarged the pic it looks like a late summer juvenal Sharp Shinned Hawk.. they winter in your area and since it's still in it's winter paler colors it's harder to i.d. Just My Humble Opinion :) at first I thought it might be a prairie falcon but t here are no malar stripes (vertical stripes from eye to chest) and it had the vermiculation on it's chest instead of the speckly look of a prairie falcon."

Barbara said...

And when I suggested Mississippi Kite she said, "Nope, not a Kite.. no eye band and the chest is rust colored when photo is enlarged." She really knows her birds (she's a wood carver)... think I'll just accept that it's a hawkish looking bird!? Thanks all for input though.

Barbara said...

And then another said...... the little hawk in your blog I believe is a Sharp Shin hawk. Cool little raptors. I love them. They resemble little falcons but have shorter wingspans and longer legs.