Friday, March 4, 2011

Rackin' My Brain

Did you ever have something that you just can't quite remember all of it and it just drives you nuts?? Some word or expression that you know is just perfect to describe the situation, but you can't quite pinpoint it? Well, I had one yesterday!

Yesterday was gorgeous here in Kansas. A little wind from the southeast and temperatures in the 60's. An ideal day for a bicycle ride. I have a friend Carol that I ride with quite often, but she's much more dedicated than I am. I rode on Tuesday as well...and met up with Carol on 82nd Avenue...she was coming back in from a decidedly longer ride. We agreed that we'd ride on Thursday and made our plan.

She called yesterday morning and was headed to Yoder via Crupper's Corner. Now one can get to Yoder in about 8 or 9 miles one way....but not via Crupper's Corner. From my house to Crupper's Corner is 10 miles...then another 4 or 5 to Yoder! So our plan was that she'd go to Yoder (actually she went a few miles beyond Yoder) and then meet me at Crupper's Corner about 1 pm and we'd ride back in together.

I left here about 11:45 and headed out. I was riding into the wind and not very fast so I thought I'd probably get there about 1. Turned out I was there at 12:30, so I decided to ride on toward Yoder. I met Carol in the second mile and turned around and we rode back in together.

Now...back to not being able to come up with the right word to fill in the blank: On the way out I was riding along, thinking about someone and what that person should do. Then I thought to myself, "No, that probably wouldn't be such a good idea...because he doesn't ________ fools well." I could not think of the expression I was wanting. He doesn't tolerate fools well. He doesn't cotton to fools well.

So, when I met Carol, knowing that she's a excellent "word" person, I asked her. Old expression about not liking stupid people or tolerating foolish people. Neither of us could come up with the expression.

Have you got it yet?



Wanna think about it a little while longer?


Here it is!!










He "doesn't suffer fools gladly!"

Thank you, Google! He doesn't suffer fools gladly....and with a little more thought, I realized WHY he doesn't suffer fools gladly: because his mother doesn't suffer fools gladly either!!!

BTW....Carol had about 32 miles and I had 22.56 when we got back in. Great ride, great company, great day!!!!!

No comments: