Thursday, May 14, 2009

The count of cannas is now up to 41...41 of the 71 bulbs I planted have already sprouted. Some are 4" to 6" tall and have the rolled leaf ready to open!!! And my little nubbin of an elephant ear has probably about doubled in size since it's last photo. My tomatoes are covered with blooms, some beginning to hang down and look like they want to become little Roma tomatoes!!! My cucumber vines are looking good..not very big yet, but still alive...and at my house, that's worth something! My peonies...that I thought I'd completely dug out last year...are back and looking great...with pretty good sized flower buds on them. Not sure if they'll be open by Memorial Day, but at least they're headed that way.

Yesterday Mary and I rode to Partridge and back..about 20 miles. There was a strong headwind on the way out...very strong...but we flew coming back!!! Great tailwind. Makes it worth the effort going out.
Today we chose to meet on the bike path and rode out to Hendricks Hill and back. Hendricks Hill is about the only "natural" hill we have within just a few miles of town. It's a pretty good hill!!! We have viaducts and man-made hills...but Hendricks is a good old sandhill hill! This was the first time we've done it this year and Mary commented that it was harder than she'd remembered. I didn't think it was as hard as I had remembered...but...Mary doesn't shift a whole lot. She prefers to "muscle it out" as she puts it. I, on the other hand, figure somebody put that grannie gear on there for me to use. I kept shifting down until I was out of gears...and then went to the little grannie of the front and pretty much just "walked" my way up the hill...not fast, but as long as I'm on the bike and it's still moving forward, I'm happy! We wound up with a super good ride and about 19 miles. These aren't long rides yet...but the weather this year has been really strange. It's still pretty cool most days...and it's been rainy-looking too. We said yesterday that "real athletes" do this rain or shine...but I don't think we're "real athletes"...we're just trying to keep strong and healthy.
We talked today about how many people we know that have had various surgeries and it's incredible that both Mary and I have missed that misfortune. Again...I repeat...we should all count our blessings! Whenever you feel that something bad is happening to you...look at others around you and COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!!

No comments: