Thursday, May 21, 2009

Work in Progress


Well, I talked a couple of friends of mine, Lee and MaryLou, into transporting 5 landscape timbers in their van. I bought 4 a couple of weeks ago and learned that an 8' landscape timber will NOT fit into a Honda Fit! I had to leave the tailgate open...open and UP, in fact, which wasn't something I really wanted to do. First thing I've found about the Fit that I don't like. There's absolutely no place to "tie down" the rear hatch...unless you'd go up to the license place and that puts a rope or whatever across real paint...and that just "ain't gonna happen!" Anyway...so today Lee and MaryLou and Wally (their little dog and Schiz's best buddy) hauled some timbers and 5 bags of mulch home for me. After a good deal of sweat and several glasses of iced tea, here's the finished project. I was using black plastic under the mulch when it occurred to me that I was preparing to throw away the heavy plastic bags that the mulch came in...so I started using it instead! I'm pleased with the final outcome.

And here's my potful of elephant ears! Aren't they growing like crazy? Yesterday I took the plastic bag off for good (I've been putting it back over them at night). I think that's THE way to get elephant ears to sprout: greenhouse them!





And...






Look at this next picture...see that teeny-tiny little nubbin sticking up at about 2 o'clock...that's the fourth sprout coming up. (If you click on the picture it'll magnify and you'll be able to see it.) New just today!

I also removed the pool cover today. I'm saving that for another blog. I took pictures...and they're not PRETTY pictures!!! Hopefully when the "pool guys" get here tomorrow to open it, they'll be able to straighten it out. Scary! Doesn't look like anything anybody would ever want to get into. I added chlorine back in March (after having a water test done)...and I think I probably should have checked into doing it again in April. I'll add pictures tomorrow. Hopefully after it's all clean and looks beautiful!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

ACW said...

Holy cow!!! You have quite a botanical garden there! My mother-in-law gave me some cone flowers and daisies. She says they are perennials and I can't kill them, but, alas, she has given me daisies in the past and they survived for only a year before succumbing to their demise. I'm giving them another try this year. So far they're still green. Good sign I think. Ann