Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Not SS/DD...But DS/DD

What makes a day a certain way? I wonder.

Yesterday - Monday - it was definitely a "small world" day. Started out by Christine at the library calling and saying they'd had a cancellation and I'd be able to get in a computer class that's coming up. The person who had cancelled had seen my name as first on the waiting list and commented to Christine "Tell her she owes me!" Turns out the person who cancelled is a woman that I've ridden bicycles with many many miles in the past. Small world.

I've been wanting to get some machine embroidery done on an apron and the gal that was going to do it just hasn't been able to get to it. I commented to another friend that I was going to just go to Hobby Lobby and buy a silver pen and write my info on the apron. She said, "Before you do that, let me give you a name to call. Barbara H-----." I said, "Is she married to Jim?" "Yep"...turns out Barbara and Jim used to be close friends with my sister and her husband over 25 years ago. Small world.

Then today was more of an angry day for me. I can't/won't use the expression I've been using all day...it'd put my blog in a new category. (I'll just say it ends with ".......me running!" If you're not familiar with it, you're a fortunate person!)

Started this a.m. at the post office. I went in to get my mail and saw a woman from my past that I don't care for (BOY...is that ever putting it mildly!) (I just typed and then deleted a big long story that the world simply doesn't need to know....) Anyway, meeting her, and my ex-husband (who's a friend - always has been - hope he always will be), and the conversation that entailed just kind of put a big black scar on my day. As I told someone a little later...remember that old expression "I wouldn't wish that on anyone!".....well, I WOULD wish whatever that is and more on this particular person. She's a back-stabber and worse...much worse. She demonstrated that 24 years ago and continues to refresh my memory every time I see her. Enough said.

Then follow that up with my neighbor calling late this afternoon to ask to borrow 1/2 cup of ketchup. No biggie, right? Well, same neighbor has borrowed eggs, milk, ginger, sugar, etc. I don't really want/need for her to repay it...but the fact that she doesn't even try bugs me. So today when she needed ketchup I told her I didn't have any. Then she wanted to know if I had any tomato paste. Or how 'bout canned tomatoes? Nope. We are about 6 blocks from one of the largest grocery stores in town. She works at Walmart as well. Somebody needs to tell me why I'm her first choice to supply her with whatever she needs. I have a button/pin that says "I don't lend money - It causes amnesia".....maybe I need to create one that addresses groceries! Already in a black mood, this didn't help!

So here I sit....anxiously awaiting tomorrow to see what transpires. I certainly hope it's a better day than today. The "other side" of me says, "Count your blessings!" I could still be in the situation that caused me to dislike the first woman so much. And I should feel fortunate that I'm able to loan/give groceries to neighbors who evidently feel that I'm a generous enough person to do so. I'll work on that....hope you will too.

1 comment:

Patsy Terrell said...

It is a small world. I went to a concert the other night in Wichita and ran into someone I know who lives in Western Kansas and - in an arena that seats 15,000 people - she was in the same row as me - 8 seats away.