Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lyons Fair on the Square

Here's a shot of my little piece of the Lyons, Kansas "Fair on the Square" this past Saturday. (Please note that these pictures were taken very early in the day...many of the vendors weren't there and set up yet. It was a FULL square of vendors, even lining the sidewalks to and from the courthouse!)

Friday had been rainy, rainy, rainy and I was having serious doubts about getting to go. My friend Pat who makes Iris folded greeting cards was certain that she couldn't do it with all that moisture in the air. But...Saturday 5:45 am...we made the decision to GO!

It turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous day. Pat was on the north-northeast corner and I was on the west-southwest corner...so with all the beautiful, big trees it was pretty chilly on the west side until around 11 am. But the rest of the day certainly made up for it. It was perfect!

Comparing this craft fair to the one at Yoder, Kansas a few weeks ago, I was initially disappointed because at 9:30 I had yet to make a sale...or even cause a ripple!!! Pat was having similar experiences on her side...but her neighboring vendor told her to just be patient, that's it's a slow-starter!

About 10 o'clock it got into full swing...and by 3:00 pm I was one happy camper/vendor! It turned out to be a great day for sterling silver jewelry sales! Normally I keep track of everything (the old accountant in me I think)...but I chose not to keep track this time. I didn't know what my tally was until I got home, but I kept thinking it felt like it might be pretty good. And it was: I did about 30% better than I'd done at Yoder in actually less time. Both fairs are on my "let's do that again" list!!!!

One of the best things about the Fair on the Square was the congeniality and friendliness and open-heartedness of the community. We were set up all around their beautiful historic courthouse, and the courthouse was open so that people could go in to use the restrooms. The Lyons Chamber of Commerce had people who walked the perimeter of the sale asking if you needed anything: a break, food, drink, whatever. Early in the morning while we were still setting up our booths, two young people pulling a wagon came around with a big container of hot coffee and a tray of donuts...FREE! And my booth-neighbors were super too. One gentleman had heard me say I wasn't much of a coffee drinker and knew we were all cold, so he went over to their printing shop business (about 1/2 block west of us) and made his wife and me each of big cup of delicious hot cocoa! Whatta guy, huh???

All in all, I say KUDOS to the great people of the Lyons Chamber of Commerce and the entire community of Lyons! It was a job very well done!!! Hopefully I'll get invited back next year - I did try to be on my best behavior (but ya know how that sometimes goes!)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: